A brief biography follows:
Born September 30, 1914 in Milwaukee WI to Alice and Daniel Sullivan.
Attended Marquette High School and Marquette University in Milwaukee.
Married Evelyn M. Keegan on June 19, 1936. He was the father of five children: Patricia, Sharon, Kathleen, Daniel, and Thomas.
Worked for A.P. Green Refractories in Mexico MO as Sales Engineer in the territory of Wisconsin for 30 years and retired in 1976. Moved to Hot Springs Village in 1977.
Worked on having Sunday masses said in the Village with Father Thomas Reynolds in 1978 and continued same with Father Doyle (both Priests were pastors of St. Mary's in Hot Springs). Bishop McDonald appointed Father Robert Kepple to serve the Village's Spiritual needs and, at the same time, he appointed Daniel as Liturgical Chairman and Public Relations man, the positions he held until moving back to Chicago.
Daniel also served on the Advisory Board for the Abbey Retreat League 1981-83 for the Subiaco Retreat House in Subiaco AR.
KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS ACTIVITIES
As a youth, Daniel belonged to the Pere Marquette Circle of Squires.
APPLETON WI - FATHER FITZMAURICE COUNCIL #607
3rd Degree - 1952
4th Degree - 1955
Deputy Grand Knight - Gave up this position to start Squire Circle.
Counselor of the Dominic Savo Squire Circle in 1956.
HOT SPRINGS COUNCIL #6419
District Deputy - 1983
State Columbian Squire Director - 1982-83
CHICAGO IL - FATHER FRANCIS RYAN COUNCIL #5025
Advocate – 1986
HOLY NAME SOCIETY
Past President - St. Therese, Appleton WI
Past President - St. Pius (Church Building Committee), Appleton WI
Past President - Sacred Heart, St. Martin WI
To achieve the Star Council Award, the target increase was previously 5%. However, in 2010-2011 Supreme set the goal of a 7% increase each year to achieve the Star Council Award.
1999 - 166
2000 - 180
2001 - 177
2002 - 199
2003 - 199
2004 - 211
2005 - 221
2006 - 231
2007 - 241
2008 - 249
2009 - 252
2010 - 260
2011 - 301
2012 - 302
2013 - 301
2014 - 287
2015 - 293
Campaign for People with Intellectual Disabilities
|Year||Total Raised||Net Profit||85% Net Profit||Knight Cont'
Mounted on the shield are three objects: a fasces (a bundle of rods bound together about an ax with the blade projecting) standing vertically and, crossed behind it, an anchor and a dagger or short sword. The fasces from Roman days, carried before magistrates as an emblem of authority, is symbolic of authority which must exist in any tightly-bonded and efficiently operating organization. The anchor is the mariner's symbol for Columbus, patron of the Order, while the short sword or dagger was the weapon of the Knight when engaged upon an errand of mercy. Thus, the shield expresses Catholic Knighthood in organized merciful action, and with the letters, K of C, it proclaims this specific form of activity.
Petit Jean Meats has been producing tasty meats since 1926 in Morrilton Arkansas. Their hams “get the taste” from the seasoning processes with a blend of special ingredients where they soak up the aroma from smoldering hickory chips for at least 16 hours. No water is added to the hams.
The Knights of Columbus’ relationship with Petit Jean started in 2006. The Ladies of the Sacred Heart took a tour of the Morrilton Packing Company in early 2006 when Johnny Kerie, Marketing Manager, informed them that it will provide hams for a fundraiser. The only stipulation was that the money raised would go to charity. Milt Spaniel contacted Johnny Kerie to coordinate the donated hams for the Knights’ first “Fall Fest” that benefitted St. Michael’s Catholic Child Care. This tradition has continued annually for 5 years.
In 2007 Johnny Kerie called Milt to suggest that the Knights could raise additional money for charity by selling the products at competitive prices and earn a small commission. The initial organizers of ham sales were Milt Spaniel, Ed Kearns and Bill Nosek who selected the products, prices, order form design, financial record requirements, publicity, sales teams, and candidates for gift cards. This is how the annual “K of C Ham Sales” were started here at Sacred Heart.
APPLICATION FOR CHARTER*
January 1 , 1990To the Committee on Charter,
Supreme Council, Knights of Columbus:
Listed herewith are the names of charter members of a new council that has been instituted in the city of Hot Springs Village in the jurisdiction of Arkansas.
The date of institution of this new council was Jan. 1, 1990.
Please print or type names.
|Raymond H. Albers||Robert L. Freidel||Raymond F. Paul|
|Joe R. Barnas||Thomas A. Gallagher||Edward J. Pilarski|
|Walter A. Barry||Floyd E. Garrot||John P. Powers|
|Bernard L. Bauer||Arnold J. Guthrie||Rev. Phillip J. Rose|
|Thomas L. Beckman||Thomas A. Head||Robert J. Royal|
|Norbert C. Benzshawel||William A. Herbert||John T. Rozek|
|Charles J. Bernard||Robert Q. Hof||Sylvester H. Sedbrook|
|Frank T. Bernard||John H. Hove||Stanley S. Sperry|
|David J. Blaul||Ray C. Johnston||Grant R. Spruth|
|John W. Bolton||Douglas A. Joslyn||Elmer C. Steger|
|Lee C. Borne||Robert E. Kent||Robert W. Sullivan|
|Nick O. Caruso||Alfred R. Kuhn||Floyd B. Tilton|
|John A. Cavaliere||Milo J. Marcis||James D. Vining|
|Allen J. Connelly||Leo E. Martell||James F. Westerman|
|Rev. Frank C. Draude||Jerome F. McAtee||Arthur G. Whalen|
|Henry J. Dupre||Charles A. McCue||Edwin G. Wick|
|Andrew E. Ellison||John R. Merten, Sr.||John O. Williams|
|William A. Fisher||George W. Newlon||Joseph T. Witek|
|Noel M. Francis||Stanley N. Olejnik|
Joe D. Harrison
NOTE—Charter names are limited to those who have joined the council by the date of institution. The list may not be kept open to include those who entered at a later date.
Form 137 2/72 *reproduction of the original (2/10)
On Oct. 2, 1881, a small group of men met in the basement of St. Mary’s Church on Hillhouse Avenue in New Haven, Connecticut. Called together by their 29-year-old parish priest, Father Michael J. McGivney, these men formed a fraternal society that would one day become the world’s largest Catholic family fraternal service organization.
They sought strength in solidarity, and security through unity of purpose and devotion to a holy cause: they vowed to be defenders of their country, their families and their faith.
These men were bound together by the ideal of Christopher Columbus, the discoverer of the Americas, the one whose hand brought Christianity to the New World. Their efforts came to fruition with the incorporation of the Knights of Columbus on March 29, 1882.
They were Knights of Columbus.
The Knights of Columbus is a Catholic, family, and fraternal service organization. Membership is open to all Catholic men, 18 years of age or older, who are practical Catholics in union with the Holy See.
The Arkansas State Council was organized on May 5, 1909. It covers the entire state of Arkansas which is served by only one Catholic Diocese, the Diocese of Little Rock. The state is divided into 14 districts with each served by a district deputy. For more information about the Knights of Columbus in Arkansas, check the web site www.arkofc.net.
(August 18. 2006)
St. Michael’s was established in Hot Springs, Arkansas in 1908 by the Sisters of Our Lady of Charity at the invitation of Bishop Morris of the Little Rock Diocese. Its initial mission was providing for girls in need. The mission changed over time so that in the latter part of the 20th century, St. Michael’s was a Catholic elementary school. It was also housing girls who were wards of the state and Asian refugees through the Diocese of Little Rock. The religious community had dwindled in numbers over the passing of time, and financial conditions were such that cash outflows for both the convent and the school were far exceeding cash inflows. The school was closed in 2001.
The sisters’ faith in the Lord remained strong, but their business acumen was limited. In July 2000, a knight from the Knights of Columbus Council 10208 in Hot Springs Village, AR, Milt Spaniel and his wife, Janice, became involved with St. Michael’s. From their love of the sisters and St. Michael’s, a relationship evolved that still flourishes today. The couple enlisted the support of Council 10208 and the people of Sacred Heart of Jesus Church in Hot Springs Village and formed a group of concerned people called "Friends of St. Michael’s," and they set out to help St. Michael’s get back on solid footing. Through their efforts, St. Michael’s is now looking forward to celebrating its 100th anniversary in 2008.
Founded in 1959, Montserrat Jesuit Retreat House in Lake Dallas TX has been continuously administered by the New Orleans Province of the Society of Jesus. The non-profit corporation has a Board of Members consisting of three Jesuits from the New Orleans Province. The Board of Members appoints the Board of Trustees, currently twelve lay people and consecrated religious. The Trustees cooperate with the Director of Montserrat to shape policies and practices according to the Mission Statement. Trustees also help manage business and financial affairs. They are currently engaged in finishing the new St Edmund Campion Hall and getting the Jesuit Spirituality Center established.
Since 1959, during a half-century of change in the Church and the world, Montserrat Jesuit Retreat House has maintained its charter as a place of silent prayer . From the beginning, Montserrat has set out to find and enable lay people eager to continue their own spiritual formation and to help others in their spiritual life. The silent weekends have kept bringing in experienced retreatants and many new ones with them. Through the years, over 90,000 persons have walked and learned and prayed and found their way to God at Montserrat. Growth, of course, means change, and there has been plenty during the past fifty years.
In June, 1973, fifteen faithful Catholics attended the first Mass in Hot Springs Village at the fire station on Calella Road. The celebrant was Father Bernard Malone, the current pastor. This led to Thursday evening services at the Village Methodist Church, conducted by Fr. Reynolds, the Pastor of St. Mary's Church in Hot Springs. In 1978 the growing number of Catholics formed an association called the Village Catholics.
In 1979 these Catholics petitioned Bishop Andrew J. MacDonald for permission to build a Catholic church in the Village. This permission was granted and, after raising sufficient funds, the parishioners broke ground for the church in July 1981. It was dedicated by Bishop McDonald on May 11, 1982.
One Life, One Rose
The Our Lady of Guadalupe Silver Rose Program began in 1960 as a project of the Columbian Squires of North America to honor the Blessed Virgin under her title of “Our Lady of Guadalupe, Patroness of the Americas.” The program has continued since then as a project of Squires Circles, councils and Fourth Degree assemblies in several jurisdictions.
In 2001 Supreme Knight Carl A. Anderson expanded the program by beginning the "Running of the Rose" from the 119 Annual Meeting of the Supreme Council in Toronto. "The 'Running of the Rose' is a perfect program for the Knights of Columbus," said Supreme Knight Anderson. "Through it we honor not only Our Lady of Guadalupe and express the unity of the Order, but we also reaffirm the Order's dedication to the sanctity of human life. It is to the Blessed Mother that we turn in prayer as we work to end the Culture of Death that grips our society. As we think in terms of 'One Life, One Rose,' it is most appropriate that we turn to Our Lady of Guadalupe who made known her will through Juan Diego and the miracle of the roses."